Home Forums Podcast supporters Video ROMA questions (ARCHIVED) Reply To: Video ROMA questions (ARCHIVED)

Vincent Sharkey
Participant

Hey Chris! Love your work my friend. This isn’t necessarily something you have to talk about on the ROMA, I just wanted to get in contact with you in regards to a very illuminating book I’m reading at the moment, and wasn’t sure where to find your email!

I hear you talk a lot about Australia, and I get the sense you feel as if our country is, at least compared to the U.S, a place that is somewhat enlightened. However, my experience living here is quite the opposite. ‘Our land abounds in nature’s gifts of beauty rich and rare’ is a line from our national anthem which is very true. But our land is being raped for coal and gas and all the rest at a rate that makes me fear for how long that beauty will stay. The worst part is, we are at a stage where it is somewhat reversible, at least compared to the U.S. But our government seems hell bent on scraping this country dry for all that is is worth.

Anyway, I felt like I should get in touch with you, as I’m reading a book called ‘Dark Emu’ by Bruce Pascoe, which talks about the agricultural society of our Aboriginals and the way Europeans feeble mindedly wiped it out, along with the indigenous population, due to the classic case of white people’s inflexible and often bigoted attitudes. And how the prevailing narrative in this country today is that the indigenous people were nomadic/hunter gatherers (I hear way too many people here saying ‘All they invented was a stick!!’, referencing the boomerang), when a lot of evidence points towards a highly developed civilization, that had the appearance of being less advanced due to their incredibly harmonious relationship with nature. It is an analysis of history that I’m sure would interest you, albeit an incredibly sad story of white supremacy destroying vast tradition and culture.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this, especially seeing as you may have already read it. I know for sure that it’s way up your alley.
From Vincent