Home Forums Podcast supporters Video ROMA questions (ARCHIVED) Reply To: Video ROMA questions (ARCHIVED)

Obra
Participant

Hi Chris,

here’s a two-parter,

your website is acting a little funny on my google Chrome. Unless I come from someone’s post through my Gmail, every time I click log-in through your website and then click on subscribers’ forum it acts clunky and logs me out or whatever. So again, the only way is through someone’s post.

Anyway whatever, here’s my March Roma question!

As soon as I read this article I imagined your possible reaction, cause it was my reaction as well. So basically they’re doing this Space Jam 2 movie and Lola the bunny is not gonna be this sexy anthropomorphic rabbit anymore but she’s gonna wear a baggy tank and be free of her voluptuous shapes because it’s too sexy or some shit and that’s wrong. Now… why? What is wrong with being sexy? Here’s an extract from the article: “But director of Space Jam: A New Legacy, Malcolm D Lee, told Entertainment Weekly that he was caught off guard by the first movie’s “very sexualized” depiction of Lola Bunny, and said: “This is 2021. It’s important to reflect the authenticity of strong, capable female characters.”
This rubs me the wrong way, why can’t capable, strong, authentic female characters be sexy as well and use that as part of their personality…their shtick… isn’t this whole process the same as fat-shaming? I mean, it’s like… sexy-shaming. Why can’t someone’s aesthetics be justified for plot purposes?
Think about Jessica Rabbit, the femme fatale from Who Frame Roger Rabbit — literally, her character is built upon this thing of her being extremely seductive and whatever and so why is that wrong? Why then can’t guys (or girls) acknowledge and simply appreciate that. Actually, writing this reminded me of that time you spoke about the differences when eyeing a girl walking down the street in Spain vs the US!
Anyhow, I don’t have to go on a long-winded tangent, I’m sure you’ve made up your mind by now.

I thought this story would resonate here. Love to hear your thoughts.

And here’s the full article: https://www.newsweek.com/lola-bunnys-desexualized-space-jam-2-redesign-sparks-intense-debate-1574012

cheers