Home Forums Podcast supporters Video ROMA Questions Reply To: Video ROMA Questions

Samsquanch
Participant

Hey Chris!

On your podcast, I’ve heard you ascribe the concept of “work” as something you would necessarily rather not do if you could avoid it. Your lifestyle is a great example of someone who has made it by not “working” by conventional means – I certainly admire that!

That being said, do you really think there is no value had in taking pride in your job or whatever “work” you do? For example, I currently work as a Grade 7/8 teacher. You bet it’s fucking exhausting, annoying, and difficult to deal a lot of time. Overall though, I get immense personal satisfaction and meaning from the connections I make with my students and my role as a guide to them. Also, I used to work as a tree planter in B.C., a job which had me plant 2-3 thousand trees a day in all kinds of rain, bugs, hills, and bears. Hell yeah it was hard, but those experiences have shaped me as a person more than anything else.

As well, you’ve discussed how the body/mind needs to be challenged in order to remain sharp (a prevalent theme in recent episodes with the body movement guys and Wim Hof). Can “work” not be a part of this? I have multiple friends who have chosen to not “work” because they would rather not do it, but I find that they aren’t challenging themselves and generally seem stuck in a rut. They look down at my current “real job”, but ultimately I think I have grown and learned so much while they have stayed the same.

I certainly recognize that many people find their jobs unfulfilling, and some occupations may be necessarily so. However, I question this general idea that “work” as a concept is truly a thing to avoid, when it can be a valuable tool for self-actualization and learning. Any thoughts on this topic are appreciated.

Cheers and thanks,
Sam