- May 4, 2020 at 2:58 am #22878Isotta CobiancoParticipant
After listening to Chris’s commentary about the cat person story, I realized that all I (41F) have always focused on in my scant romantic and sexual life is “does he like me?”. So excited to see this and ready to start anew. On the other hand, my best friend told me that that part didn’t resonate with her much, but she loved the insights about powergames. So amazing that this could be so enrichening for both of us for different reasons! Anyone else wants to comment about what they saw?
- May 7, 2020 at 1:43 pm #22956jandojandoParticipant
What I find interesting is that here you have a story, and people try to analyze what has actually happened, what is the reality of what’s going on here. And it becomes clear to me that the interpretation of what has happened, says more about the person making the interpretation, and their view of ‘reality’ at that time in their lives, than of what actually has happened, which impossible to be certain about.
But good for you you have realized something about yourself while trying to make sense of this 🙂
- June 23, 2020 at 7:19 pm #23801AdinaArcherParticipant
I loved the analysis of the essay and was fascinated by the story itself. I loved the lens of power and the found the oscillation of ‘power over’ between each of the characters. Chris did say several times that he’s focused on the young woman because it was written from her point of view, but I think he missed a couple of supercritical pieces:
1. I would love for Chris to address this cultural notion that sex between two persons necessarily implies something deeper/bigger between those two people, rather than allowing sex to be what sex is. Un-named and implied expectations attached to sex are what seems to get people in trouble, mostly because people tend not to always communicate well.
2. The toxic masculinity seeping through at the end of the story. He felt entitled to something and she was too immature to even know her own feelings, let alone communicate them. But he fell off hard and I lost all sympathy for him at the end when he demanded answers, seemed hurt that she could be sleeping with someone else- as if having sex with him suddenly meant her body belonged to him- and then called her a whore. Not cool bro… he lost all moral high ground at that moment.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.