Home Forums Podcast supporters Video ROMA questions

Tagged: 

Viewing 89 reply threads
  • Author

One a month, I’ll be releasing a video ROMA exclusively for podcast supporters where I answer supporter questions. I’ll be drawing questions from here, so let the asking begin!

Patrick CollinsPatrick Collins
      Participant

What is the thing where the delta between your interest in it and knowledge of it is widest?

Participant

How do you keep the darkness at bay? Even when I’m not feeling trapped in my own life, I look at the state of things around me often and just feel so much despair for all the suffering. I know your interactions with intelligent, passionate people probably do a lot to buoy you, but are there other small ways you keep from feeling the weight of the world too heavily?

Hi everyone – thank you for your questions. I uploaded the first video, which you should have all received in your email via Mailchimp, otherwise you can also access it here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3PTTzpopPw&feature=youtu.be

Participant

Do you have knowledge about the MBTI personality type system, and if so, do you think it’s accurate? Do you want to give away the type you identify with?

Participant

Hi Chris,

I apologize if you have mentioned this before, but I was wondering if there are any certifications/training programs for those that are interested in facilitating psychedelic ceremonies and post ceremony therapy? As ridiculous as it sounds, I am in the strength and conditioning field, but find myself acting more as a lifestyle/health coach lately. I have benefited immensely from psychedelic use and have had “notions” (words fail me, hard to explain what was experienced during ceremonies) that my journey will include helping others experience psychedelics. Although I wouldn’t describe it as a full out shamanic calling, I know I can relate to a specific population that I train. Many come from an extremely “alpha” community and are skeptical of any “woo woo” or “shrink” kind of stuff. I am not looking to turn this into a profession, and ideally I could just send my athletes down to the jungle, but to say they have trust problems might be an understatement. In short, I would like to have some basic entry level training, so when the time arises, I can help an unique population see the benefits of such medicines. I appreciate any comments or advice you have.

In gratitude,
      TJ

AdamAdam
      Participant

Hey Chris,

I sometimes think about hypocrisy, and wonder why it seems to be a ubiquitous human trait. Do you think it is human nature or a product of civilization?

ManlyManly
      Participant

Hi Chris,

When you came to the Big Island, the question I asked you was something I’ve been thinking about for a while. I had written it down and edited it until I felt as though I had reached a satisfying level of economy of words. To be fair, I think this is a question that too should be thought about and given a sufficient amount of time and energy to answer.

You oftentimes talk about feeling as though the culture is coming back full-circle, with full-circle being a euphemism for the return to the application of knowledge our ancestors, and hunter-gatherers, already had/have. Evidence of this can be found with paradigm shifts regarding: the Monday through Friday work (especially at a physical location) schedule, the give a company 40 years and retire with that company motto, the standard diet, marriage, monogamy, the individualistic culture, and so much more. I concur with you that things seem to be changing. The 1960s 2.0 movement or something. I wonder how Terence McKenna would view, and wax poetically about, the culture today. I remember his speech calling for people to WAKE UP and for the intelligentsia to push back against standard narratives.

My question was:
      For those who wish to speed up this full-circle change, and/or impact it positively somehow, what advice would you give individuals to assist/impact this?
      I remember when Obama did a Town Hall in Ohio where he was talking about reducing oil consumption. He said that individuals can help with reducing global energy consumption by ensuring the tires on their vehicles are properly inflated. I found this to be an excellent example of something that is simple and contributes to something much bigger.
      Do you think there is something individuals can do to assist with this, what seems to be, culture crisis. What micro do you believe individuals can do that’ll impact the macro? Also, how can we ensure we don’t go too far into tolerance that we may emerge as intolerant? One anecdote I’ll share is that I have a relative in Oregon who absolutely hates going to Portland. He drives an SUV, which has been on the receiving end of eggs and rocks in Portland from people who believe he’s destroying the planet with his SUV. He drives this SUV because he tows his camper around the United States and sleeps where he parks.

Thanks again for the beers on the Big Island and feel free to hit me up if ever you come back to the Islands.

Aloha.

Participant

Hi

What do you think about accusing other people? I mean accusing other person to be too… or not enough….or doing too much…. etc

all the best

Hi Chris, i have been listening to your podcast since early last year and i love it. I listened to most of the back catalogue whilst I was on the Camino de Santiago along with the DTFH and the Drunken Taoist podcast, and between all three, you really have dramatically changed my life. I really felt like i was forming a healthy balance view on what it is to experience this life.
      I have had problems with heroin and most other drugs for a long time. I have been ‘clean’ for a while now but temptation is always there and I substitute with other things. I tried DMT this year in the hope of some Miracle cure, but instead it took me to a very dark place and I haven’t quite been the same since (this was a few months ago). I have flashbacks frequently and very nihilistic periods but also have, I believe, the ability to experience far more intense pleasure from ‘simple’ things such as the colour of autumn leaves or a night sky. This is, I suppose, a two fold question …. do you have any advice on how to deal with difficult trips and the aftermath, and also what are your thoughts on ego death being painful, or indeed the concept of ego death its self . Thank you so much for the podcast Chris, you really are there when we need you sometimes, please keep it up.
      Sending love to you and all the other listeners around the world ..James from England

phil3234129phil3234129
      Participant

Hi Chris,

You’ve often commented on how Darwin’s writings were misconstrued for years after his death and used for nefarious purposes.

Have you ever worried how your writings might be misinterpreted years after you die??
      Thanks Chris
      -Phil

Participant

Hey Chris,

Have you heard of Dr. Bruce Lipton? He wrote the books “Biology of Belief” and “Wisdom of your cells: How your beliefs control your biology.” He was on Joe Rogan’s podcast way back when episode 165. I am not sure if you maybe referenced him in your book I am less than 100 pages in as I do not have as much time to read lately and decided to order the book rather than audiobook. Anyway, I am listening to the wisdom of your cells audio book by Dr Lipton and wow do I see serious comparisons between what he is saying about our cells and bodies and what you say about corporations being organisms. It is seriously too much to even mention and I am not good at recounting it coherently, so I think you should really look him up and DEFINITELY get him on the podcast. I truly think you and the listeners would love what he has to say. For example, he talks about how our gut bacteria makes us the community we really are, not the individual we think we are. He says that the more we get away from the nature the worst of we are. He also discusses how evolution was about cooperation, not competition. He discuses the environment, perception and how it creates our reality, and he demonstrates this in a “good” scientific way. Obviously he discuses the placebo and how our thinking influences our lives in a fundamental way. It is truly some amazing stuff to listen to and learn. I just rambled out the list so you could see the connection I made to the things you say and write about and the type of research he has done in life. Again I think he would be such a great guest to have on the podcast.

Thanks Chris,
      Hunter

Hi everyone –

Here is a link to this month’s video ROMA. Went off-script a little bit, but will circle back to some of these questions next time.

As always, thank you for your support.

Participant

In general, while doing world travel, how difficult is it to get by when only knowing English? I know that learning some of the local language is the polite thing to do, but language has always been my weakest subject. I feel totally dense and tone deaf in this area. I don’t even feel like I can totally wrap my head around the English language. In grade school I was diagnosed with some form of auditory dyslexia, and it must have something to do with these difficulties. I still haven’t made it out of the US yet, and this is a barrier that intimidates me.

Participant

Hey Chris,

I’ve heard you over the years mention Basic Universal Income. Have you heard of Andrew Yang? He’s a presidential candidate for the upcoming election. One of the biggest components of his platform is universal income by giving every American 18 years and up $1000 a month. Have you followed him and his debates? He makes other great points that I think you’d like

Participant

Participant

One of the core assertions in your writing is that intensely social community was the single most important factor in the success of our species. While I agree that the need for community is ancient and essential to a person’s wellbeing, I find it impossible to fully dispel the cultural programming of living my whole life in capitalist America – ‘every man for himself’, ‘nice guys finish last’, self-reliance and rugged individualism, etc. My question is how have you reconciled the idea that what we are most out of sync with from our evolutionary past is our interdependence on each other, with the importance of self-reliance and your life as an individual? I’m a 28-year-old man, and have been living in a similar way you describe your 20s and 30s – traveling, spending time alone immersed in books, tripping by myself, etc. I cannot honestly say my independence has been a bad thing for me, yet I find my thoughts tending to extreme statements like “I don’t need anybody. Needing people is weak.” I know that’s unhealthy for me and my relationships. I don’t even believe it intellectually or emotionally. I have solid relationships with friends and family, but these thoughts persist. Did you ever find yourself feeling like that? How can somebody change this?

Participant

Hi Chris,

I’ve heard you say that when you met Cacilda you realised she could teach you to work harder and you could teach her to relax more. My question is do you think there is any inherent value in ‘working harder’? I recently finished Civilised to Death and was struck by the typical day of hunter-gatherers who only ‘worked’ for 2-3 hours a day doing things we would consider holiday activities 🙂

If you had unlimited income would you have written books or started the podcast? Do you do these things because they bring you joy or also because you saw a need to work harder, bring in an income etc. With unlimited income do you think you could be happy just living without ‘work’?

All the best,
      Sami

Responded to this in the January VROMA.Thanks for the question.

Responded to this in the January VROMA.Thanks for the question.

Hi everyone, here is a link to the January Video ROMA.

In this one I discuss the idea of work – whether or not is has value and what “work” even means. I also talk about the conflict between self-reliance and being a part of a community. Thanks as always for you support and questions!

Participant

Thanks for the response Chris – here’s to meaning in life!

Participant

Hey Chris,

I’d appreciate your insights/theory on how to approach making work as painless as possible, to the extent that its still necessary for many of us to “pay the bills” (even as low/simple I try to keep my costs: the flip phone and bicycle life 😉 ). I used the word approach rather than asking specific career ideas because you seem to have had a unique take in this regard—being opportunistic rather than career driven, and also finding “back doors” (e.g. diamond district dude in NYC) that lead to better treatment than filling out an anonymous application.

Thanks as always for your thoughtfulness,

George

Participant

Since the forum is not floaded with questions yet, here’s an other one!

Do you have insights in how hunter/gatherer groups would deal with conflict amongst its members? You know, this guy likes this woman, but she’s not into him and has sex with some other guys, just not him and he gets deeply jealous. Or this guy is a bossy asshole, he insists that they should put the camp here, and an other guy who hates his guts wants to put the camp over there. Or this woman is a quite the loner, goes away from a group who are gathering fruits, and the other woman start gossipping that she’s strange. Or this guy, he dances for the rain to come, but these other guys see him as worthless because he’s not catching any pigs…and they all deal with this feelings of hatred toward each other, to a point where it becomes unbearable, but they just have to live with each other.

You’ve mentioned that it often happened that people would move from tribe to tribe. Do you know of any other ways they deal with conflict?

Participant

Where is the February video Roma?

Here is a link to the February Video ROMA – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPOM1NJvXts

Sorry this one is late, I’ll get back on track this month! Thanks as always for your support & questions.

Participant

Chris what do you think about this mass hysteria with Coronavirus. It seems to me that while it is a spreading virus, the risk of death is still relatively low. Yet media keeps hyping up the whole situation, causing people to freak out on a mass level. Our collective consciousness in this matter is the real driving force behind the panic and paranoia. Shouldn’t the government step in and prevent unnecessary scary headlines from controlling this situation and instead provide only reliable facts?

Participant

Hey Chris,

I think I’ve heard you talk about the reason why so many young men listen to your podcast is because you think there’s a possible lack of male role models and ritualistic transitions from boys into men. As a young man myself, I crave life advice I hear in podcasts as if I’m addicted to motivation. When feeling stuck I’m reminded by sayings like “paralysis by analysis”, and I like the idea that the best way through is just to keep moving forward, but I’m wondering what is beyond this. Do you think confidence in trusting your own decisions is an attribute of a man opposed to one of a boy? Or is it more of a personality trait? Do you find yourself seeking out life advice from your own “Chris Ryans”?

phil3234129phil3234129
      Participant

Hi Chris,

I’m interested to hear your perspective on “expectations” in a heterosexual relationship. I’ve seen the role of expectations play out both in my relationships and those of my friends.

I’ve often observed one person bringing out the best work ethic in their partner. Many a time I’ve seen a person go from being unmotivated, to being very efficient and disciplined in achieving “relationship goals.”

However, I’ve also seen situations where the importance of achieving an expectation or goal was a source of disagreement and distress within a relationship. I would love to hear your thoughts on expectations and goal setting in a relationship. Thanks for your time.

-Phil

Participant

Hey Chris,

I just discovered this song and I think this version is beautifully crafted. What do you think? The band is called Kuinka and the song Distant Lands.

here’s their link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kniUyNoUnjc

Cheers, Uncle Chris
      from Martin

Agreed. Good tune. But I need an mp3 to play in on the pod.

Hi everyone, here is a link to the March video ROMA. https://youtu.be/wwUOC4TNYE8

Thanks as always for your support and questions!

Participant

I’m sure how this will be displayed on the forum, so I’m responding to this question.

I’ve know people who have been wrecked by bad trips, and coming from them I think a good thing to do would be to find a therapist. Find someone that can give you techniques to deal with these feeling, and that will help you to work through them.

“Hi Chris, i have been listening to your podcast since early last year and i love it. I listened to most of the back catalogue whilst I was on the Camino de Santiago along with the DTFH and the Drunken Taoist podcast, and between all three, you really have dramatically changed my life. I really felt like i was forming a healthy balance view on what it is to experience this life.
      I have had problems with heroin and most other drugs for a long time. I have been ‘clean’ for a while now but temptation is always there and I substitute with other things. I tried DMT this year in the hope of some Miracle cure, but instead it took me to a very dark place and I haven’t quite been the same since (this was a few months ago). I have flashbacks frequently and very nihilistic periods but also have, I believe, the ability to experience far more intense pleasure from ‘simple’ things such as the colour of autumn leaves or a night sky. This is, I suppose, a two fold question …. do you have any advice on how to deal with difficult trips and the aftermath, and also what are your thoughts on ego death being painful, or indeed the concept of ego death its self . Thank you so much for the podcast Chris, you really are there when we need you sometimes, please keep it up.
      Sending love to you and all the other listeners around the world ..James from England”

Participant

Was there anything you thought, felt, or believed very strongly in your 20s that you’ve changed your mind about or realized in subsequent decades that you had wrong? How did the change come about? I’ve specifically heard you say that when you were younger you worried that you were choosing a very lonely life. Did that feeling turn out to be wrong? or did you just grow to accept that a certain level of loneliness is a price that must be paid to walk a path true to yourself?

phil3234129phil3234129
      Participant

Hello Chris,

I’m 34 years old and I’ve reached a pretty stable period of life. However, I feel I have one conundrum moving forward. Cars. More specifically, whether to lease a new car or to ride that sucker ’till the wheels fall off. I’ve never cared how old a car looks. I’ve only cared about car bills. With a used car, as you know, you don’t have a monthly nut but you do have the specter of a repair costing several grand (mathematically speaking, a large enough repair bills equals a monthly lease payment.). With a leased car you have the opposite set of pros and cons. Given your years of travel by all forms, including by car, I would love your opinion on the subject. Thanks.

-Phil

Participant

Hey Chris! Love this podcast, hope you and your fans are doing alright in these strange times.

My question pertains to responsibility towards the ones you love, (friends, family) and dealing with their negative situations:

How proactive should one be in solving loved-ones’ issues? For example, if they’re dealing with addiction, should you bring it up? Should you do an intervention TV-style? Should you just be there if they need it? etc… What about if they’re stuck in a crappy marriage with kids? Should you confront their partner? Talk about it? Just visit every once in a while?

I have really a hard time gauging if I’m not pro-active enough in people’s lives, and it’s easy to feel guilt you know. I’m always ready to help out anyone, anytime, but if they don’t ask, man I don’t feel like bringing up those conversations. I’m not sure if I avoid those because I hate situations with heavy emotional content (programmer here). Or if I feel it won’t be fruitful. Or if I feel it’s not my problem. Again, don’t know how to gauge these things…

Cheers

AdinaLavAdinaLav
      Participant

Chris and anyone else who’s read Civilized to Death,

I just ordered three copies of your new book and am going to read it with my sons (ages 13 and 16). Is there anything you (or anyone else here) thinks I should hone in on as we read it? The books should be here next week and I’m pretty excited about it.

Thanks, in advance.

Participant

Hey Chris! My wife loves your wife and we just finished listening to the second episode with her. I had listened to both before meeting her and told her she has to listen to Cacilda because she will love her, which she does now. Anyway we definitely want to hear more from her. Such a beautiful and interesting soul!

Hey everyone – here is a link to the April video ROMA:

https://youtu.be/46oH1Afi1iw

As always, thank you for your support & questions.

Participant

Oh drat – just missed the April Roma! Hopefully for May, then.

I have a couple questions I’d like your perspective on. An answer on either or both would be fantastic!

First – what drew you to the Transcendentalists in your youth? Has your opinion on writers like Thoreau, Emerson, and Whitman changed over the course of your life?

Second – what is your information diet like? Do you read the news everyday? Do we have a responsibility to be “informed?”

All love,

Jon

Participant

Alright, thanks for doing this!

Really appreciate the perspectives, glad this is around while we’re bound to an ultra-specific patch of land at the moment…

Participant

If you could have dinner with any 5 people (living or dead) who would it be and why?

I realize this is a cliche question (apologies if you’ve already answered it in some form or another) but it is something that when I am surrounded by people I don’t know very well and the conversation needs picking up I will ask. I feel like the answers can say a lot about someone, not just their general interest but who they are as a person. For example – some people will respond with all 5 choices being deceased & living family members, I have heard the likes of “Kim Kardashian, and Cardi B” at one table (not saying they’re bad choices but interesting nonetheless), but generally it is presidents, religious figures, or societal elites of the past. As an avid follower of you, I was curious about what your answer might be!

Participant

Hi Chris,
      Long time listener, first time… Caller? Anyway, my question is around your new book and the theme of what has civilization gotten us. Although I agree with your premise almost 100%, I can’t help to play devil’s advocate. As I have been contemplating the differences between Hunter-gather life vs today’s Western civilization, one thing I see that we have is more knowledge(although far from complete) about the Earth, the universe, evolution, science, etc than people in those societies. The debate can be had whether or not our “progess” has been worth this knowledge accumulation or the debate on whether this knowledge has to be tied to civilization necessarily. Im not sure. It also seems that in a lot of ways, the more we learn, the more difficult it can be to live a simple, happy life. But for the sake of argument, let’s say in the future, the people of Earth build the technology to be able to stop an asteroid from annihilating life on the planet. That would be a good thing for the continuation of the species. I guess my ultimate question is, can we have both the simplicity, harmony, happiness, and other benefits of hunter-gatherer life along with the modern knowledge of atoms, space, chemistry,evolution, etc, etc?

Participant

What do you think of democracy? Is it really the best option even if imperfect? Should my opinion on coronavirus policies count as much as that if a doctor since I am a real estate agent? (I know I don’t directly vote on such policies, but I vote for a representative based on the policies he will promote…). Sometimes I fear I have been sold a story about universal democracy that similar to the one PPN one…

Participant

Do you think that what’s happening with smartphones sneakily making our lives crappier and more stressful is similar to what happened with agriculture? (I.e. are we currently hanging on to the airbaloon)

SamsquanchSamsquanch
      Participant

Hi Chris,

I’ve been really enjoying your WMTBG series! I really think you’re onto something there.

My question is related to your most recent release which discusses “what you can’t say”. The ideas put forward in the essay are contemplations I’ve thought about frequently in my life. I agree that our perception of moral rights and wrongs is totally dependent on the time period/culture we happen to exist in. This extends necessarily to so many facets of how we choose to live our lives; it’s worthwhile to understand that our beliefs and certainties that seem so stable in our cultures are fallible and ever-changing . There is nothing to suggest that future humanity won’t look back on us and judge our way of life as absolutely archaic and wrong. To think otherwise is quite self-indulgent – with how fast the world is developing, we already do it even within lifetimes (OK Boomer).

My question: what do you think are a few things future humanity will think is laughable or just strange about life on Earth in 2020? This is contingent on there actually being a “future humanity” to look back on us.

Few of my thoughts:
      – We will look at the way we generally consume and treat animals as morally reprehensible (I’m not a vegan/vegetarian btw).
      – Our relationship with garbage and how disattached we are about it (thinking about how much takeout people eat – so much plastic thrown in the trash!).
      – Selfish individualism will erode – people will feel more responsibility to the greater community (idealistic) … We are all in this together.

Thanks Chris! I really appreciate the podcast man – I would even go as far as to say it’s my favourite.

Sending cheers from Canada.
      Sam

phil3234129phil3234129
      Participant

Hi Chris,

Your friend Joe Rogan recently inked an exclusive multi-year contract with Spotify worth $100 million. Thoughts??

-Phil

Hey everyone –

Here is the link to the May Video ROMA. https://youtu.be/u98E3uoYyC8

I speak about my personal information diet and how I deal with news, I answer what 5 people I would like to have dinner with, living or dead and why, if it’s possible to combine modern knowledge with ancient wisdom, what my opinions are about democracy as a political system, whether or not smartphones are the contemporary equivalent of agriculture, why people are intrigued by Las Vegas and what I think people in the future will think is ridiculous about the way we live in 2020. Plus, this month’s ROMA features a special bonus belly dancing performance by two surprise guests.

Thanks as always for your questions!

phil3234129phil3234129
      Participant

*Repost from May*

Hi Chris,

Your friend Joe Rogan recently inked an exclusive multi-year contract with Spotify worth $100 million. Thoughts??

-Phil

Participant

You once said on your podcast that you do/are happy to have sex with multiple partners, but that you still remain more “emotionally” monogamous to one person. Can you explain how this works for you, and discuss lessons you learned in your life that brought you to this place?

I have been trying to navigate the waters of a less monogamous relationship for some years now. I often feel like a boat lost in fog, with knowledge of hundreds of dangerous rocks just below the surface, with no way to go into them, expecting disaster at any moment. Can you be my radar, and at least help by showing me some of the larger rocks I am likely to encounter, the ones that would spell sinking and drowning. I may have drowned a few times already…

Thanks,
      Love
      -Andrew

Participant

Hi Chris,

I am not sure if you’ve addressed this elsewhere in other conversations or ROMAs, but I was wondering if you could briefly explain what is generally understood about the evolution of homosexuality in humans or primates ? Are homosexual relationships present in most hunter gatherer societies?

Thank you. Love the podcast.

Nav

Participant

Hi Chris,

Over the last year or two you’ve mentioned several times the “lifeboat” that you intend to establish, and last summer you talked about various locations you were considering and scouting out during that year’s Vanthropology trip. You ended up buying land in Colorado. I’m just wondering what it was about the Colorado land that caused you to choose it over the other possibilities. What were the various criteria that were important to you in making the decision? (For instance, another potential location you mentioned was in Montana, but you were worried about cold winters–but are the winters not cold at 8,000 ft?)

Thanks,
      Aubrey

Participant

In my twenties I’ve travelled through India like you did. One line I wrote down then was: loneliness is the price you pay for freedrom.

Any thoughts on this?

Hi everyone –

Here is a link to the June Video ROMA – https://youtu.be/ujpHLNXyN6k

This month, I talk about the hidden dangers of non-monogamy (and some thoughts on how to avoid them), the question of how to discuss homosexuality in primates and foragers, and my plans to establish a “life boat” community.

Thank you for your questions & support!

Participant

2 questions about prostitution. I am a 40sh year old Italian woman living in Peru. 1) The man I am dating (slightly older than me) told me he had his first time as a teenager with a hooker, that that was normal then, bc young girls were expected to stay virgin and that was how he and most of his friends started their sexual life, with their fathers and uncles’ blessing. Now his 13 year old nephew is asking him to please taking him to a brothel and he’s seriously thinking about doing it next year. Times have changed but there aren’t that many chances for his nephew to have sex at 14 without paying. What do you make of this? 2) He also told me that at at bachelors parties here it is the norm to go to a brothel and for the groom and some of the other guys to have sex with hookers. The way to decide who is getting land, a part from the groom, is to cast a lot amongst the guys who say they are interested. The bill is shared amongst everyone but the groom. I asked other men here and they all said that this is the tradition here (not sure if it just a South American thing). I find it so strange that there’s such a common (at least here) rite, the existence of which is not publicly acknowledged. Any thoughts?

Participant

Chris, you have mentioned that you have a story involving heroin usage. Just wondering if you have plans to tell it someday. Also, it’s been a very long time since the last TOMA, which were incredible stories. Ever thought about releasing a new TOMA?

Participant

Hey Chris what’s good man I enjoy your work I am reading Sex at Dawn currently and already heard Civilized to Death on audiobook well done! Can you comment on the Chris D’Elia accusations? Yet another me too victim. This situation seems like a prime example of biological/evolutionary urges at odds with a social construct? I am not a post modernist at all however, age of consent is a tricky one is an 18 year old girl any more capable of making decisions than 16? It’s like the Beatles song “I Saw Her Standing There” but no #MeToo for Paul McCartney eh? Chris seems like a nice guy despite his asshole shtick he deserves due process at least. Sorry for the long post appreciate your time Chris! -Daniel G

phil3234129phil3234129
      Participant

Hi Chris,

Last week marks ten years since the release of Sex at Dawn. Congrats!! Instead of asking the cliche “Looking back, what would you have done differently?”, I was wondering if there’s anything about the overall process that as you look back you’re damn happy you did the way you did it at the time?? Thanks Chris.

Sincerely,

Phil

Emma O’SullivanEmma O’Sullivan
      Participant

Hi Chris,

Like myself, I know you’re a little exhausted by the politics of today. That said, I’m curious if you’ve looked into Bret Weinstein’s Unity 2020 plan and if you had any thoughts on it? After I first heard about it on Rogan’s show, I felt excited about politics for the first time in a long time (excited enough to give you five dollars just so I could ask for your take).

Anyway, I feel like it would be something that interests you. Looking forward to a response!

Participant

Hey Chris

What is your method for finding beautiful & quiet campsites on your road trips? Thanks pal. Enjoy the vanthropologizing!

Willem

SamsquanchSamsquanch
      Participant

Hi Chris!

Have you ever reread a book that was incredibly influential to you when you were younger to find that your present self has a completely different opinion/perspective on it?

I had this experience with “On the Road” by Jack Kerouac. When I first read it as a 21 year old, it radically shook up the way I looked at life and how I wanted to live it. It inspired me to hitch hike and travel extensively over the next few years. When I reread it as a 26 year old, I couldn’t believe how different the experience was. I realized that Jack and Dean were selfish assholes, frequently getting their kicks at the expense of the people who loved them, all in the effort of getting “their kicks”. I had to look myself in the mirror and consider if maybe I wasn’t taking advantage or taking for granted my relationships in a similar way. Now as a 31 year old, I can only imagine what a next reread would be like. Thoughts?

PS. More short stories podcasts pleeeease! 🙂

Here is the link to the July Video ROMA – https://youtu.be/6k8TXprfcrY

Among the topics covered in this month’s video, I talked about how I choose where to camp, what I’m glad I did and didn’t do when writing Sex at Dawn, whether/when I intend to record some more TOMA episodes, my thoughts about prostitution, and my take on the accusations against Chris D’Elia.

As always, thank you for your questions and support!

JoeJoe
      Participant

Hey Chris,

When and where will you be in Montana this summer? I live in Helena and it’d be awesome to say hello to you. I understand if you’re not meeting up with TS supporters because of Covid. I am a poor 28 year-old guy without much to offer you other than a friendly face and recommendations of good camping and hiking sites in western Montana.

Hope all is well on your adventures out west,
      Joe

Participant

Hi Chris,

I read your “Talking Drugs” ebook, and I enjoyed reading your thoughts about psychedelics. You mention how psychedekics may not be for people with a fragile grasp of reality, and I agree with this. What insights about reality or realities have you come away with after taking psychedelics?

You also mentioned how it felt like returning home in some way. I felt like this myself during an intense psychadelic experience, in which for the first time, I experienced that part of me who “sits in the cockpit” of my brain, so to speak. I felt dissociated from my ego and experienced a sense of being that I had never experienced before. And it felt like home.

I would love to hear more about your thoughts on these matters. Thank you, Chris.

Participant

(How I delete my post?? Arrghhh! Hi everyone!)

phil3234129phil3234129
      Participant

Hi Chris,

I have a question for you about open relationships. Over the years, when your friends have shared their stories of open relationships with you, have they ever expressed difficulty in spending time with their primary partner, versus the thrill of spending time with someone “new?”

In other words, no matter how attractive/intelligent your partner is, they will eventually become known to you, versus the thrill of interacting with someone “new”. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for your time.

-Philip

Arianna GarofaloArianna Garofalo
      Participant

Hey Chris,

Arianna from Florida here. This is in response to your June ROMA when you talked about establishing your lifeboat community. My best friend and I had been planning to buy a few acres of land in New Mexico and do a similar thing. However, lately, we’re really feeling like planting roots in the US might just be stupid. My friend has travelled extensively, and I’ve travelled my fair share. We would both actually prefer to settle down outside of the US, but we had compromised with living around Taos, New Mexico, because it seemed like the most non-US place possible within the US. We’re both aware that financing a piece of land and just generally establishing a life outside of the US is going to take a lot more work. However, I think that’s the direction we’re now headed. Our plan is to wait and see what happens in the November election, which seems to be what you’re doing, too. Personally, I don’t feel any remorse about the idea of abandoning the US, because I hate pretty much everything about this country and I’ve never felt a sense of pride in it. My friend, however, has more reservations, and is afraid of the US truly turning into an unchecked dictatorship if all of us liberals actually leave the country if Trump gets reelected. My friend made the point that could actually affect us, even if we’re living abroad. If Trump wins another election, the whole world might not be safe, not just the US. I guess what I’m asking you is: What the fuck is anyone supposed to do right now? Should we all leave the country? Should we all stay? Just wondering your thoughts. Thanks for being you.

Participant

Chris, I was wandering if you had heard of hofsteads cultural dimensions. He is a Dutch social scientist that explains the diffences between countries in 6 dimensions. You often talk about the difference between Spain and the US. He might help clarify the way the US is the way it is. I hope you could elaborate on this sometime.

SamsquanchSamsquanch
      Participant

(Reposting my question from above – got missed on the last ROMA)

Hi Chris!

Have you ever reread a book that was incredibly influential to you when you were younger to find that your present self has a completely different opinion/perspective on it?

I had this experience with “On the Road” by Jack Kerouac. When I first read it as a 21 year old, it radically shook up the way I looked at life and how I wanted to live it. It inspired me to hitch hike and travel extensively over the next few years. When I reread it as a 26 year old, I couldn’t believe how different the experience was. I realized that Jack and Dean were selfish assholes, frequently getting their kicks at the expense of the people who loved them, all in the effort of getting “their kicks”. I had to look myself in the mirror and consider if maybe I wasn’t taking advantage or taking for granted my relationships in a similar way. Now as a 31 year old, I can only imagine what a next reread would be like. Thoughts?

PS. More short stories podcasts pleeeease! 🙂

Participant

Hi Chris,

I wanted to thank you for turning me on to Desert Solitaire, which you mentioned in a recent podcast. I’m looking forward to reading it again to get a better grasp of some of the asides in it. Do you have any other book recommendations along the same vain?

Thanks.

phil3234129phil3234129
      Participant

Hi Chris,

I really love your podcast. I especially love the moments where you comment on literature or cultural beliefs centered around language. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on the phrase-“If you’re young and you aren’t liberal, you don’t have a heart. If you’re older and you aren’t conservative you don’t have a brain.”

Personally, I know many contradictions to this maxim in that I’ve known people go their entire lifespan being either liberal or conservative. I appreciate your time. Thanks.

-Phil

JoeJoe
      Participant

Sounds like phil3234129 listened to the most recent episode of the podcast How Neal Feel with Neal Brennan and Bianca. They mentioned that quote.

Chris PalmerChris Palmer
      Participant

Chris, I am liking this idea of a lifeboat community.
      I just sold my home in Denver, and am longing for a new start somewhere.
      So glad to be rid of a mortgage. Finally have a pocket of cash to invest.

You mentioned Ecuador. I was there last year in a small village called Vilcabamba. It’s incredibly beautiful, untouched, safe, and cheap.
      I know of a trusted Shaman there as well. If you don’t know of this area already I recommend looking into it. I would totally be willing to invest in such a venture. You are way more experienced, and well travelled than myself. So I trust your judgement on the place you choose, count me in. You have my support.

Thank you for everything you do, and all my best.
      -Chris

phil3234129phil3234129
      Participant

I haven’t, but that sounds like a great recommendation, I will! Thanks! 🙂

Participant

Was there a point you actively chose not to have children, or did it just end up happening that way? I’m 29m and about 80-90 percent sure I don’t want to have kids, and on the off chance I do, I would want to adopt over having my own biological children. Sometimes I worry that this will be a deal-breaker for a majority of women, and make finding a partner all the more difficult. Did you find dating women was more difficult as a man who didn’t want kids?

Participant

Hi Chris,

my question to video ROMA:

Thanks.

Participant

Hi Chris, I am interested to get your thoughts on pursuing a masters degree and student loans.

I’m in my mid twenties, have recently finished an undergrad, and I am debating on applying for a Masters in Counselling.

Psychotherapy and Counselling has always interested me because I love working with people, helping people and I am also very interested in different alternative therapies such as Psychosomatic Therapies, Bioenergetics, Jungian Psychology etc.

Moreover, I believe that this occupation would provide my life with a lot more meaning than my current job–which is working in an office as a pencil pusher.

The one thing holding me back is the heaps of student loans that I would acquire after completing my masters, which would be close to 20-40k.

Luckily I’m in Canada so the student loans aren’t as outrageous as they are in the states but still having just paid of 18k in loans for my undergrad, I am a little hesitant to dive right back into debt.

Being the wise elder that you are, I’m hoping you can share some wisdom with me on this.

All the best,

Mo

Participant

Chris,
      You have mentioned a handful of times that you grew weed on your balcony in Spain. Just curious what types or strains did you prefer? We have had medical for only a few years where I am at and I remember back in high school and college just to be happy to get anything much less being choosy about a strain so I was just curious to get your insights on this. Thanks

Here is a link to the August Video ROMA – https://youtu.be/sLgf4q2KEJo

This month and next month I will be highlighting some of my all-time favorite camping and van life items in place of the regular video ROMAs. Nearly all of the items I mention can be found at whatmakesthisthinggreat.com. I will return to the questions in October!

Thanks as always for your support.

Participant

That August episode is so lame, dude.
      Seemed to me like you did’nt want to make any video at all, you lazy fuck (I’m just qouting you).
      That’s why I like your podcasts. I am not kidding here. The relaxed atmospere has to come from somewhere. And anyway, I’m sure it was interesting to somebody-
      Take care and have (more) fun.

Participant

XXOO

Participant

Eh, I agree-ish. I mean, do what you gotta do…

…Come to think of it, your new subscribers are probably very interested in van/camping life since that’s a lot of who you are to them. The wise but creepy man who lives in a van down by the river. It’s also true, however, that your long-time listeners think they know you better and can tell when something is off. Maybe you genuinely wanted to do a video like that and we’re just silly worrying about it, but yeah, it felt boring and forced. First time in years… ever actually…

Just my two cents. Donprog is on it though, I support you nonetheless and that’s what I’ve been doing for the past years via Patreon and now your website.
        Maybe you’re just getting old and worry about your future 🙂

Fuck, you guys are harsh! You’re overthinking this.

Lots of people write me, asking about the van, camping, recording, etc. I figured it would be fun to invite you guys behind the scenes and show you a little bit about how I am actually living at the moment. In fact, it’s the opposite of what you guys seem to think. I thought the videos of me just answering questions might get a little boring, so it would be fun to mix it up. I was not burning pieces of my body, selling my soul, or suffering in any way. Sorry to hear it came across that way to you.

Participant

Haha, nothing wrong with camping and camping gear and making a video about it. My coffee machine was broken and the video inspired me to make myself a coffee without electricity right away!

“coffee without electricity”, would look good on a menu card!

Participant

Yeah my partner and I actually loved the camping video; it’s always great to learn about how a fellow camper camps.

…but more importantly, watching you [Chris] review camping equipment unscripted gave us some of the greatest laughs we’ve had in a long time. Also your rant about the 2×4’s was glorious. So thank you for the ostensibly unintentional comic relief!

Also, just saw this and thought it was very relevant to Tangential conversations…would love to hear your opinion:
      https://www.npr.org/2020/09/06/909753465/cuties-calls-out-the-hypersexualization-of-young-girls-and-gets-criticized

Participant

I also really enjoyed the camping equipment video and am looking forward to the van video!

JoeJoe
      Participant

I liked it. I rarely have the opportunity to watch videos of Chris so it was cool having a reason to do so. Plus I found it helpful, especially that solar pop-up lantern. And I don’t support TS for the bonus content so there are no expectations about quailty from me.

Here is the link to this month’s Video ROMA – https://youtu.be/yG2XdCogNq8

In this video I talk about growing weed, my opinion on going into debt to get a degree in counseling, I answer a question about coming to a crossroads with a girlfriend and the decision to have kids or not, how to deal with new partner energy in open relationships, and about what I’ve learned from doing psychedelics.

I will also share the second part of the BTS #vanthropology series later this month… but it seemed some of you weren’t too thrilled with that, so I wanted to be sure I did a regular Video ROMA as well. The van video will be bonus content.

Thank you as always for your support and questions.

Participant

Hi Chris,

I’ve got a couple questions, and would like to hear your insights on them.

1) I am 20 years old and am 99.99999% sure I don’t want kids. I REALLY don’t want kids, and have strongly considered getting a vasectomy. The one thing holding me back is that I have not yet been in a serious long-term romantic relationship, so I don’t know how my feelings would change in that context. Regardless, I kind of just want to get the snip, be done with it, and be able to exhale a bit. What do you think?

2) I recently started a job doing marketing/sales stuff for a roofing restoration company. For now, it’s interesting because everything is totally novel and I’m learning a ton. Also, it pays pretty well and will let me get money for school and travel. I see a lot of parallels between how I ended up in this job and how you ended up in the Diamond District, if that helps. Anywho, I know that I don’t want to do this long-term and am afraid of getting sucked into the American consumerist trap and still being here in twenty years. Do you have any advice for surviving in a job like this without your soul getting eaten?

3) When are you going to put up more TOMAs?

Thanks,
      Jimmy

phil3234129phil3234129
      Participant

Hi Chris,

I want to ask you a question about the years you’ve spent in Spain. As you are aware, Universal Healthcare was enacted in Spain in 1986.
      While living there, did you witness “rationing of care” that was inappropriate in your view?? The main argument against Universal Healthcare in the United States is just that- the rationing of care. I thank you for your time and perspective.

-Philip

Participant

In a recent podcast with Andrew Couch you tell the story of how you ran into old friends in Mexico and did Peyote. You said this was a synchronicity and that the “Peyote chose you”, that it had something to teach you. You suggest this was more than a coincidence. But you left out the best part: what was the peyote experience like? Did the peyote experience itself suggest this really wasn’t a coincidence? Did it teach you something? If so, what?

Askin KaradumanAskin Karaduman
      Participant

Hi Chris,

This is Askin, (probably) your most loyal follower from the city of Istanbul. I’ve come across a paper titled: “Finding Life Satisfaction Beyond Meaning: An Immediate-Delayed Return Compensation Perspective”. And here is a quote from the paper:

“More specifically, the theory starts with the assumption that humans possess a set of sensitivities and predispositions that helped their distant ancestors survive and reproduce in the context of immediate-return societies(i.e., foragers). These societies are characterized by small temporal windows, frequent feedback regarding goal progressing, and little pressure to adhere to specific roles and justifying stories.

In complex, modern societies(i.e., delayed-return societies), on the other hand, people often have to engage in immediate effort for delayed, uncertain outcomes. This effort-outcome disjunction can lead people to experience long periods of insecurity. To cope with this insecurity, people developed complex societal mechanisms such as contracts and agents to enforce them (Cohen, 1985) and justifying stories such as just world beliefs (Martin, 1999).”

full paper: https://www.psychology.uga.edu/sites/default/files/CVs/I-D%20Compensation%20and%20Meaning%20in%20Life.pdf

Long story short, the paper suggests that meaning seeking is not an inherent feature but a by-product of large, complex socities. Would you agree?

Thank you for changing my zoo.

Best,

Askin.

Viewing 89 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.